Wharton’s Master of Arts in Statistics and Data Science, Bridge to a Doctorate, is a two-year research master’s (AM) degree program which provides advanced coursework and research experience to students who need additional preparation for admission to a doctoral program.
Bridge Fellows will work with faculty on an individualized curriculum built around their interests and goals.
The two-year intensive master’s program includes financial support (tuition, stipend, and health benefits) and additional benefits such as faculty mentorship for professional development and access to resources to apply to doctoral programs, including GRE test preparation and guidance on doctoral program applications. Bridge Fellows will not be required to teach in this program.
As part of the goal of the Statistics and Data Science Department, this bridge program seeks to prepare students for a doctoral program in an inclusive learning environment and is committed to supporting the academic success of students from a rich diversity of backgrounds and social experiences.
The Master of Arts in Statistics and Data Science, Bridge to a Doctorate, is for students who:
- Have a strong academic record in mathematics or statistics but require additional coursework and research experience for admission to a doctoral program.
- Demonstrate a strong interest in research and in earning a PhD.
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree at the time of enrollment.
- Are citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
And meet one (or more) of the following criteria:
- Have experienced disadvantages due to a personal diversity dimension (e.g., race, sex, gender identification, culture, geographic background).
- Are a first-generation college graduate from a low-income family.
- Have demonstrated a commitment to diversity through activities dedicated to ameliorating the negative effects of social, educational, or economic disadvantages based on race, ethnicity, or gender.
- Have participated in formal research on issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Please find the University of Pennsylvania’s Nondiscrimination Statement here.
Applications for the 2023-2024 academic year are now closed.
Department of Statistics and Data Science
The Wharton School,
University of Pennsylvania
Academic Research Building
265 South 37th Street, 3rd & 4th Floors
Philadelphia, PA 19104-1686
Phone: (215) 898-8222