Wharton’s Bridge to a Doctorate in Statistics and Data Science is a two-year research master’s (AM) degree program which provides advanced coursework and research experience to students who are from groups underrepresented among PhDs in Statistics and Data Science and who need additional preparation for admission to a doctoral program.
Bridge Fellows will work with faculty on an individualized curriculum built around their interests and goals.
The two-year intensive master’s program includes financial support (tuition, stipend, and health benefits) and additional benefits such as faculty mentorship for professional development and access to resources to apply to doctoral programs, including GRE test preparation and guidance on doctoral program applications. Bridge Fellows will not be required to teach in this program.
As part of the goal of the Statistics and Data Science Department to foster an inclusive learning environment for all students, this Bridge Program is committed to supporting the academic success of students who are underrepresented among PhDs in Statistics and Data Science.
Requirements for Applicants
The Bridge Program is for students who:
- Are from a group which is underrepresented among PhDs in Statistics and Data Science.
- Are citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Demonstrate a strong interest in research and in earning a PhD.
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree at the time of enrollment.
- Have a strong academic record in mathematics or statistics but require additional coursework and research experience for admission to a doctoral program.
Department of Statistics and Data Science
The Wharton School,
University of Pennsylvania
Academic Research Building
265 South 37th Street, 3rd & 4th Floors
Philadelphia, PA 19104-1686
Phone: (215) 898-8222